Obligation to present residence card and passport when applying for permission to extend period of stay or change of residence status

When mid- to long-term residents apply for permission to extend their period of stay or change their status of residence in order to continue residing in Japan, it is common for them to go to a local office of the Immigration Bureau with documents.